Friday, January 6, 2012

DIY: Light Tent (box, whatever)…

      I recycled an apple box from Albertson’s that I previously used to move by cutting out a portion of the sides and covering it in white printer paper. (I had a lot more pictures of the process- which took a lot longer than anticipated- but my computer crashed and I lost all of my pictures. The ones for this craft, plus multiple others that I had just cleared off of my camera. I was bitter about it for about a week, but they are gone and pouting about it won’t change that…)
       When cutting out the sides, I measured about an inch and a half from the top and the sides of the box, drew a square (rectangle on the longer sides), and cut out the middle. I would recommend maybe cutting two inches or so from the edge to give it just a little bit of extra support. After cutting the sides, I wrapped white paper over the entire thing (a long process, but worth it in the end), and then covered 3 of the sides with full pieces of the white paper in order to create a background and something for the light to reflect off. The original post where I found this idea (seen first on Pinterest, originally posted at http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent ) used fabric for the sides and a piece of Bristol cardboard and curved it on the back of their light tent. Because my box is rectangle, I did not do this, I just covered the sides but I prefer the end result because it gives me a larger area for photographing.I also did not cover the top of the box with anything, so I am able to maneuver my light and get a better angle on certain subjects. I chose not to use fabric because I didn’t have any white sheets that I wanted to cut up for this project and already had a stack of printer paper. I do not have a DSLR like in the original post, but my point-and-shoot does pretty well for itself.
I have since had quite a bit of fun finding things in my house that I can photograph in my light tent. In the first picture, my dog was feeling a bit jealous and got in the way of the first picture I tried to take. For the last couple pictures, I took a black pillow case and laid in flat in the box. This is great for things that are light in color, like silver, white, or glass that is very reflective.




Apothecary jar: Decorator's sand, pine cone, & branch.

My apothecary jars: Glitter covered Christmas lights & ornaments














Another DIY: Headband holder from an Oatmeal canister.

Another Christmas gift. It smells sooooooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment