Friday, January 6, 2012

DIY: Headband Storage

I made this from an oatmeal canister, vintage-print duck (not just any brand, actual duck) tape, and a bright blue glitter-ribbon. I wiped out the inside to get rid of any remaining oat residue, selected my tape, and starting wrapping. When I say I selected my tape, I should clarify that I have over 15 different patterned duck tape to choose from that I have collected over time when I see random printed tape in stores. :) I chose the vintage pattern because my room is black and white (I change the color accents) and I have a blanket with a similar pattern but inverted colors. I think this pattern is pretty, classic, and adds a touch of elegance. I chose a dark turquoise glitter ribbon because I really liked the color with the black and white, and what girl doesn't love glitter? I started across the top to secure the lid, and then wrapped from the top edge down. I made sure to start and end in the same spot, so I had one fairly consistent seam, rather than jagged and miscellaneous seams. I didn't measure the pieces before I pulled them off the roll, just remembered how far I pulled my hands apart and tore the pieces off. I put any excess that I had onto the bottom so the pattern is all over the canister, no remaining Quaker's pattern or cardboard. Once it was covered in tape, I eyeball-measured a piece of ribbon long enough to wrap around and create a bow, and then used super glue to secure it along the top. I placed a spot of glue in the back with the seam, one on each side and then when I had the half-knot started for the bow, I glued the middle of that together and then to the canister. I neatly tied the bow and once I was happy with the size and length of the bow, I glued the middle once again and then added more glue around the edge where the ribbon met the tape. I had pictures of the process as I did it, but my computer crashed before I was able to back them up (literally the day after I did the project and cleared the pictures off my camera). So I took pictures of the end project, even used my DIY light box from a previous project as a neutral background. Overall, I love the end result and my boyfriend, Mike, even said that it looks awesome. (He is a tough critic haha) <3










No comments:

Post a Comment