Friday, April 27, 2012

Butterfly-Silhouette Paint Chip Wall Art


I absolutely love butterflies, as well as just about anything bright and colorful, so when I came across this post from Spunky Junky I was instantly inspired! It took me a while to find a butterfly paper-punch that I liked, but after some shopping around I found the Martha Stewart Monarch Double-Punch on sale at Joann's Fabrics & Crafts. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but it makes beautiful silhouettes and I know I will find many more uses for it over the years. After finding my paper-punch (more like in between stores), I went to Wal-Mart and literally grabbed every single Glidden paint sample. I initially picked out some select colors, but after a return trip I decided to get the rest of the colors (for more options and later projects, of course). I spent a total of about 3 or 4 hours on this project once I sat down with all my supplies, but I was also watching a movie so I was multi-tasking =). I punched out all the butterflies, bent them in half to make them lift off the paper, and then super-glued them to the poster board. I used about 20 different colors, but I made sure to use 3 butterflies of each color to keep a sort of balance. I saw a similar posting for a recycled magazine collage and it is next on my list! I had some extra butterflies and there are color guide cards that when punched out create a cool effect. Overall, I love the end result and I can't wait to do another one!

Supplies used: 
Black Poster Board
Glidden Paint "Chip" Samples 
Martha Stewart Monarch Butterfly Double-Punch
Super Glue
Black-frame (from a previous project)

I have both the big punch and the mini, but only used the big one.


I initially tried using Elmer's glue but it took too long to dry.
Folding them really helped make it seem like they are flying off the page.

The finished product!















5 comments:

  1. I am totally doing this for my girls!!! Awesome effect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Other than my hand hurting after all the punching (oh and the super glue residue), it was super easy! :)

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! Glad you found the tutorial on my site and it helped you to make this! I really love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you so much for posting it, I have been wanting to do this project since I found it. :)

      Delete
  3. I am redecorating my room and I'd love to have a butterfly theme for it. When I found these pictures of your butterfly creation I was instantly in love!

    but I was wondering... how big are these butterflies? 'cause I've found the exsact same paper-punch online, but I would really like to know how big they are before placing my order :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete